Purchasing New Construction Homes
in Salt Lake City, UT
It’s spring , have you got the itch to move? If you are a first time homebuyer, you have lots of choices available to you in the home department, among them new construction. If you currently own a home, then building a new residence is sometimes the best option giving you time to sell your present home while you watch your new home being built (if nothing else it motivates you to get your home sold, right?).
So, if you are thinking of purchasing new construction homes, here are some tips to make the experience a great one:
- Pick a geographic area– there are some beautiful areas of Salt Lake Valley (and the surrounding area as well) all offering their own flavor for living, so you will need to decide what is important to you. Look at commute times to work, and proximity to shopping areas. If you have a family, schools would be another important consideration in purchasing a new build home.
- Select a builder– new home builders are plentiful in the area, so be sure to check ’em out. Drive through other projects the builder has completed. Do this on a Saturday when people are out in their yards. Find out if they are satisfied with their new home, what kind of experience they had during the construction process, how the home turned out. People love to share their experiences, both good and bad, so take advantage of it
- Find out about the community– not all communities are the same, even when they are built by the same company. Ask about amenities such as community pools, clubhouses, etc, and find out if there is an HOA (home owners association) that will govern the community.This is important when thinking about purchasing new construction, because there will be fees associated with a homeowners association, and there will be rules for living in the community. Check these out before you commit to make sure you are comfortable with them.
- Walk through your home often– whenever you buy a new construction home, it is important that you keep an eye on it. It’s your home, take pictures of it while it is being built. That way you know where all the electrical, plumbing, studs etc are, so if you ever have a problem…you know where to start!
- Take your final walk through– before you close on your new home, be sure to take advantage of your final walk through. New construction homes are different than existing, they are not sold “as-is”. Go through and make sure all the painting touch up is done, all appliances are in, the plumbing works, the door knobs are on…you get the idea. Put in writing anything that still needs to be finished so that you have record of it. As much as we love builders, sometimes they forget things after closing.
So, when you are purchasing new construction homes in Salt Lake City, follow these tips and you will have a much better experience. Oh, and if you want to make sure you get the best deal on your new construction home, read our post “ New Home Construction-Are You Leaving Money On The Table?”