If you saw my last post, (A Great Bath Is Better Than…) I indicated that the bathroom (especially the Master Bath) is one of those upgrades that sell homes. So what, you might ask (well I would if I were reading this) would constitute an upgrade other than totally gutting and remodeling the bathroom? Well…here are some suggestions:
1. Start with some paint- my advice to clients preparing their home for sale is ALWAYS to make sure everything is clean and fresh with paint. My motto is “If in doubt, Paint!” Pick a color that is complimentary to the colors in the rest of your home, you can make it a bit bolder in the bath, just don’t go wild (if you are trying to sell your home)…No Neon Orange or glow in the dark kind of stuff…unless you are planning on being in your home for a while and are doing this on a purely “I am making this house my own” kind of thing…then Anything goes!
2. Cabinet Changes- Probably the most inexpensive cabinet change you will find in a house. You can get some inexpensive cabinet and sink combinations from your local home improvement store ( I think I own stock in these …or should..we have purchased so much from them). You can make a dramatic difference in a bathroom by adding a cabinet with drawers (some even have the look of furniture…MY FAVORITE). If you can’t afford a new one, then paint (there is that word again) the cabinets! Again, just painting the cabinets will give a fresh look to the room!
3. Going along with that…change the knobs or pulls on the drawers. The white and gold knobs of the 1980s just don’t cut it anymore, and there are some great ones out there for not too much money. If in doubt, go with a pewter or Nichol finish. That is the trend right now.
4. Change out your faucets. Again, inexpensive material can be found at the local home improvement store, and you can find a variety online as well!
5. Change That Mirror, especially the ones that are desilvered and dull looking. You can get inexpensive framed mirrors anywhere, and they don’t have to cover the entire wall! If you don’t want to take that big ol mirror down, however, another idea is to frame it with some baseboard. Make a couple of miter cuts, glue em down and you are good to go!
6. Don’t forget the about the lighting in the bath. Upgrade to something a little more modern, but make sure they light the bath. Nothing more irritating that a bath where you can’t see or the light is so glaring it ruins the ambiance .
7. Finally…upgrade your bath with new towels, bathmats and shower curtains. If you are selling your home, I would avoid the temptation of the shower curtain with boats and fish.. or tropical settings (or bikini clad people…I should Not have to tell you this). Colorful yes, but not very sophisticated to a buyer.
So…upgrading your bath is really not hard. Do one or 3 or all of the above and you will see a return on the value of your home…and besides, it will make you feel better when you are soaking…or whatever!
[button link=”http://saltlakehomefinders.com/landing/how-is-the-market-in-your-utah-neighborhood/” type=”big” color=”red” newwindow=”yes”] Get Your Market Snapshot Here![/button]